Subject: Re: NeWS and X

From: [email-masked] (putnam)
Date: Wed, 20 May 87 05:51:25 EDT

Date: 18 May 87 12:30:30 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (putnam)

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Robert Scheifler) writes:

>    X is fast????  Give me a break.  I just saw News and X
>    running side by side, News on a 160 and X on a 260.
>    News was just as fast if not faster.
>
>It is amazing how silly people can be.  Trying to make blanket
>statements about X or NeWS is stupid to begin with, but comparing an
>unsupported non-product with a supported product is less than sensible.

Enough already!  XV11 isnt really out there yet, and NeWS is just getting out.
For months in various places we have been listening to the NeWS vs X bashing
and flaming and yelling and screaming and ....

There is much to be said for both systems, but we cant decide which is better
yet - we just dont have enough experience.  Furthermore this kind of emotional
battle line setting is only clouding our ability to make reasonable
technical judgements.

I think the thing to do now is for all of us to try playing with both systems
and building some large applications in them.  Then maybe we can get together
and talk about whats good and whats bad in a year or so.  Is it unreasonable
to suggest that there might be a better system that builds on the strengths
of both NeWS and X that might succeed them?  Then lets find out what the
good and bad points are of both systems and think about what we might want
next.

(Interestingly, i would note that i have heard from at least two sources the
rumour that Sun might be building their next version of sunview on X rather
than on NeWS.  Can anybody confirm this?)

Well, shall we go?  -- jefu (jeff putnam)
Yes, lets go.       -- UUCP: steinmetz!putnam
(They do not move.) -- ARPA: [email-masked]