Subject: NeWS Applications

From: Don Hopkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 87 14:26:40 EST

Date: 15 Sep 87 11:42:12 GMT
   From: [email-masked]  ( SPIT)

	   I have read on comp.sys.atari.st that NeWs has been ported on Atari
   ST. Is it a joke  ?

   If no, where can I have informations about this product?

   Thanks in advance.
					   Didier Poirot
   UUCP: ...!mcvax!inria!poirot

Yes, NeWS has been ported to the Atari ST by Mitch Bradley at Sun, and
it was being demonstrated at the Sun Users Group meeting in Washington
at the beginning of last October. The Atari ST was running the NeWS
server, and the clients were running on a Sun to which it was
connected via a serial line. As far as I know, it was an internal
"proof of concept" port of an earlier version, and was used to weed
out Unix dependancies. I don't think the port of NeWS that was being
shown on the Atari at SUG is a product, however, but that doesn't mean
that there isn't somebody else doing such a port. I'd be very
interested in hearing from people who are working on such things.

	-Don

rom [email-masked]  Wed Sep 16 14:36:11 1987
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 87 14:02:11 EST
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: NeWS Applications
From: [email-masked]  ( SPIT)
Sender: [email-masked] (Don Hopkins)

	I have read on comp.sys.atari.st that NeWs has been ported on Atari
ST. Is it a joke  ?

If no, where can I have informations about this product?

Thanks in advance.
					Didier Poirot
UUCP: ...!mcvax!inria!poirot

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Mende)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 87 03:05:50 EST

In reference to NeWS on a Atari ST, I will remind people that a couple
of months ago some announnced he had ported the NeWS server to the
amiga.  Sun's reply was that the product could NOT distributed in any
form.   Post to comp.sys.amiga if you want to hear the whole story.

				/Bob
--
     [email-masked]    {...}!rutgers!mende    [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Pierson)
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 87 01:48:37 EST

In reference to NeWS on small machines: I was at Sun's Framingham, MA NeWS
seminar last Friday.  Representatives from two companies who are doing such
ports were among the attendees.  A company named "eXP" is doing a Macintosh
port ((617)-868-8215); another company was doing an Amiga 2000 port.  One
of the Sun speakers mentioned the Atari port, but said that they had no
intention to market it.
--

In real life: Dan Pierson, Encore Computer Corporation, Research
UseNet: {talcott,linus,necis,decvax,ihnp4}!encore!pierson
ArpaNet: [email-masked]

---

From: "Daniel L. Cerys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 87 01:48:01 EST

> form.

SUN held a NeWS technical seminar near Boston last week where they
described what could be done.  Of course, if you aren't using their
sources, you can do anything you want; SUN doesn't have any claim to
Postscript protocols.  There are commercial licenses you can obtain from
SUN for their "Portable NeWS" product.  I think the number they quoted
was something like $25K for all source and distribution rights.  With
X11 getting so much popularity, I consider even this to be restrictive.

SUN provided a list of all of the NeWS servers that have been
done.  The Amiga and MacIntosh II ports were done by third parties who
were present and introduced at the seminar.  The other ports are:
SUN, VAXstationII, Silicon Graphics, RasterTech, Atari ST, Apollo
DN3000, and HP9000.  I can't say anything about the availability of
these.