Subject: Re: X is on Suns

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 87 16:00:26 EST

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 87 09:21:30 EST
From: Russell R. Tuck <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: X is on Suns

> From: Andre Marquis <[email-masked]>
> ... When is NeWS being released?
March.  It will also be bundled in the next major SunOS release (this fall?).

> Will it have a resonably complete toolkit (menus, radio buttons, etc.)?
Sun has been demonstrating it (eg, Sun Users Group 10/86, UniForum 1/87)
with an example user interface that looks fine.  It includes menus, buttons,
sliders, terminal emulator, some demo programs, etc.  I believe this will all
be included in the release version, along with an X emulation.

> What good is it if everyone has to reimplement menus?
I think the point is that you can, not that you must.

I have no relationship with Sun except as a customer.  I've been watching
NeWS closely since they announced it, and believe the above information
to be correct.

Russell R. Tuck, III                   CSNET: rrt@duke
Computer Science Department            ARPA:  [email-masked]
Duke University                        UUCP:  {ihnp4|decvax|mcnc}!duke!rrt
Durham, NC 27706, USA                  Phone: (919) 684-5110 ext. 227