Subject: binary copies of NeWS are shipping

From: [email-masked] (John Gilmore)
Date: Tue, 5 May 87 00:44:44 EDT

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 87 16:29:05 PDT
From: [email-masked] (John Gilmore)
Subject: binary copies of NeWS are shipping

Sun is taking orders for NeWS and shipped the first copies of it
more than a week ago.  You can order it through your sales rep,
if you are on speaking terms with him or her (we aren't, currently,
because I gave him the info below and he couldn't figure out how to
order it for us some weeks ago.)

Note that this is binary copies of the NeWS server (PostScript
interpreter) but all the window management code is written in
PostScript and is released in source.  This version does not have the
merged X windows stuff or the eventual SunView-compatible programmer's
interface.  You write window applications by writing part in C and part
in PostScript and it provides the glue so you can just call the PostScript
routines as if they were written in C (like remote procedure calls).
It can run some X10.4 software as if it was an X server,
and you can run existing binary or source SunView applications at the
same time (NeWS pretends to be the background window of SunView, and
gets out of the way of any SunView windows that pop up 'covering' the
background.)

You can order:

	Newsbin3-01	Sun-3	1/4'' tape, manuals, ...	$100
	Newsbin3-02	Sun-3	1/2'' tape, manuals, ...	$100

I don't know if it is available for Sun-2 -- I forgot to ask.

It is unfortunately NOT available through the Sun 800-number order line.

	John Gilmore