Subject: Re: NeWS speed

From: [email-masked] (Bill Wyatt)
Date: Sat, 16 May 87 04:12:13 EDT

Date: 15 May 87 16:59:00 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Bill Wyatt)
Subject: Re: NeWS speed

>
> A friend of mine said that AI group at MIT is never going to be running
> NeWS on many workstations. One of the reasons he gave was that X will
> always be at least a factor of 3 faster than NeWS.
>
> I started thinking about all of the atoi() that news always has to do,
> and the fact that it is interperted, and am beginning to think that he
> might be right. Is there any truth to this?

I suspect the above factor of 3 refers to the emulation of X underneath
NeWS, which makes sense, since you are going through more layers.

I also suspect this is why Sun has since decided to provide a native X V11
system, as well as NeWS, as well as (presumeably) the X under NeWS.

As to comaprisons of native V11 and NeWS on the same hardware, does
anyone have real tests? Can they easily be compared at all?
--

Bill    UUCP:  {seismo|ihnp4}!harvard!cfa!wyatt
Wyatt   ARPA:  [email-masked]
         (or)  [email-masked]
      BITNET:  wyatt@cfa2
        SPAN:  17410::wyatt   (this will change in June)