Subject: Re: X at UniForum

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 87 16:00:13 EST

Date: Wed, 4 Feb 87 09:26:32 EST
From: "Russell R. Tuck" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: X at UniForum

> I just heard from my boss that a number of vendors announced their support
> for the X windowing system at the just concluded USENIX conference.
>
> * Could someone please post the text of the announcement if available?

I didn't see any official announcements, but lots of vendors were advertising
their X version 10 support.  Lots of other vendors were saying something
like: "we have our own window system now, but as soon as a standard emerges,
we'll support it".

> * How do the NeWS people out there feel about this announcement?  Will SUN
> offer X as well as NeWS to keep up with the other workstation vendors?!?!?
> * Does anyone have both NeWS and X running on a SUN?  (We hope to as soon as
> we convert to 3.2 UNIX.)

Sun was demoing X support as part of their NeWS demos.  They have an X
version 10 emulator running on top of NeWS.  They said they intend to
support version 11 in the same way.

Sun said they will release NeWS as a product in March, and that they will
begin licensing the source code to other vendors at the same time.

Russell R. Tuck, III                   CSNET: rrt@duke
Computer Science Department            ARPA:  [email-masked]
Duke University                        UUCP:  {ihnp4|decvax|mcnc}!duke!rrt
Durham, NC 27706, USA                  Phone: (919) 684-5110 ext. 227