Subject: Object Oriented Programming in NeWS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 87 12:06:40 EST

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 87 23:58:26 EST
From: Don Hopkins <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Object Oriented Programming in NeWS

In the Usenix Proceedings of the Third Computer Graphics Workshop,
Monterey 1986, there is a paper by Owen Densmore, "Object Oriented
Programming in NeWS", which describes the implementation of
Smalltalk style classes in PostScript. These are used to implement
the class Item, out of which graphical input controls are built.

It includes a complete listing of the PostScript class implementation,
which is only 2 pages long, some PostScript implementations of
Smalltalk message passing tests, the class Item object, and some items
built on top of that.

It's an excellent example of the elegance and power of PostScript, and
shows how one can use object oriented programming to build flexable,
easy to modify user interface mechanisms in NeWS.

	-Don