Subject: Toolkit for NeWS

From: Andre Marquis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 87 02:59:51 EST

I'm still wondering if there is going to be a standard user-interface
(similar to SunView if need be) toolkit for NeWS.  I talked breifly with
Saul Wold of Sun (I'm not sure what his position with them is.) and he
indicated that there is nothing on the horizon.  Is this indicative of Sun's
long term commitment to NeWS?

Is every NeWS application destined to have a different user interface?  Is
each developer expected to assault such a gargantuan and important project
individually?  User interface consistency is the most important part of an
application.

DEC and HP have signaled their commitment to X by developing C based
toolkits.  They are public domain.  How does Sun expect NeWS to "win"
without an analogous product?

>From the dearth of replies to my image queries, I'm assuming the user
community is as apathetic toward NeWS as I am acerbic.  Sun is right out.
Comments?

Andre Marquis
Department of Pathology and Lab Medicine
2 Gibson Building
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
3600 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
[email-masked]