Subject: where to find files???

From: Don Hopkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 87 14:38:05 EST

Date: 4 Dec 87 04:54:34 GMT
   From: [email-masked]  (eliot lear)

   Hello all,

   I heard about Don's reagan.bites demo and I wanted to take a look at
   it so I ftp'd the files over to my 3/280 and proceeded to attempt to
   run them.

The reagan.bytes demo, along with some other NeWS related stuff, is in
the public ftp directory on tumtum.cs.umd.edu (128.8.128.49).  (Log in
with ftp as user anonymous, with any password.)

   psh spat back that it couldn't find the files.  One other
   detail for info: I was running my NeWS server on a 3/50.  Well.  The
   problem is that NeWS only checks the machine on which news_server is
   running when it does file I/O.  Granted, that by default, this must be
   the case but there should be some mechanism of accessing data on
   remote machines (like on my 280[[[!!!]]]).  Does some mechanism exist
   that I have missed (besides the obvious of writing a C program to
   interact with the server)?  I understand that adding such a feature
   would be a pain but does anyone else see its use?

   Regards,

   Eliot
   --
   Eliot Lear
   [[email-masked]]

Well, that's exactly what NFS is for. You just have to have the right
directory mounted, at the same point in the file system that it is on
the server, so the absolute path names are the same from machine to
machine. That's why it's a bad idea to give different file systems on
different machines the same names, if you want to use NFS. (You can't
have 2 directories mounted at once in the same place, and you lose if
you have to refer to the same directory with different names on
different machines.)

	-Don