Subject: [[email-masked]: Re: PostScript in X]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 87 10:15:20 EST

Date: 17-Feb-1987 1230
From: [email-masked]  (Scott McGregor)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: PostScript in X

In response to a questions from Don Hopkins and Bill Wohler and to clear up
some misconceptions, here's the text of Adobe's press release:

January 15, 1987

"Adobe Systems Incorporated today announced plans to develop a version of
PostScript (r) for displays which will be suitable as a graphics extension
to windowing systems.  PostScript, a page description language developed
by Adobe, is a leading standard for printing on high-quality laser printers
and typesetters.  Adobe's new package will give programmers both a PostScript
language interface and a C-language interface to the complete range of
PostScript's powerful graphics and font capabilities.  It will be a full
implementation of the language and will be completely compatible with the
printer version.  Applications will be able to use a windowing system to
manipulate windows and use PostScript to create their images within a window
in a fully device-independent manner.  This will make it possible to present
on the screen the same text and graphics that can now be printed by PostScript
laser printers and typesetters.  The X Window System, developed at MIT and
supported by a large number of worklstation vendors, is one of the windowing
systems for which a PostScript extension will be available.  Adobe expects
to have the package completed by the fourth quarter of this year for licensing
on an OEM basis to workstation manufacturers."

Scott.